Yesterday was a fun day. We went to an apple cider mill, hoping to see them making cider. The workers were off for the day, but we still got to have a free sample of the cider, watch a video on how it was made and of course have some cider donuts. (Phil loves donuts!!)
From there we went to Cabot cheese store and a chocolate store. We got to sample many different kinds of cheese and flavored maple syrups, and also got free samples of chocolate. Yummy.
Then we headed to Ben and Jerry's factory for a tour. it was really cool to see how they made the ice cream. Did you know the workers there get to take home 3 pints FREE per day? I would really be in trouble if I worked there, I'm a huge ice cream fan. At the end of the tour we got to sample the ice cream. I kind of wanted to go on the tour again...
We also bought a pint of cherry Garcia to share after. It is one of their top sellers, so why not? (Well, there are plenty of reasons not to, but we won't go there)
We had a wonderful lunch in the car of canned chicken in a pita pocket.
Them we stopped at Green Mountain Coffee Company and got a free cup of coffee to enjoy while we walked through their building. Here is the nice lady who got us our coffee.
We also had our first van problem. The blinker bulb went out, and cost us 3.46$ to repair. Good thing Phil brought tools with. We are thanking God for how well our van has been running!
After the morning fun we headed back to the camp site, Little River State Park. They had a three mile long history hike we decided to go in. After checking with the park ranger that I didn't need to worry about bears and rattle snakes, (yes, I really did) we set out. I carried Levi in the front carrier and Phil carried tons of stuff in the backpack. The hike was beautiful through the forest. I have never been on a hike before where my ears were popping; we climbed some serious elevation. There were all sorts of historical markers on the hike: an old farm, old house, old bridges, old rock walls, and a cemetery. The area was settled in 1810, and later abandoned. The cemetery was very interesting, with birth dates back to 1810. One interesting thing was the little grave markers, we assumed for infants. There was no writing at all on these headstones, and there were at least 6 of them. I would love to know the stories behind them. Phil reminded us how short our lives are, we are like a blip on the radar of history. It is a good reminder that we are not here forever, we need to keep our focus on eternal things. The hike turned out to be 3.6 miles, and I will say I was surprised that the walk down was harder than the walk up. My knees were killing me!! The kids all did pretty good, got a little tired, but did good.
We headed back to our campsite, the first time on the trip we have stayed in the same spot for two nights. Hot dogs over the fire were on the menu, with s'mores of course.
We also had our first van problem. The blinker bulb went out, and cost us 3.46$ to repair. Good thing Phil brought tools with. We are thanking God for how well our van has been running!
After the morning fun we headed back to the camp site, Little River State Park. They had a three mile long history hike we decided to go in. After checking with the park ranger that I didn't need to worry about bears and rattle snakes, (yes, I really did) we set out. I carried Levi in the front carrier and Phil carried tons of stuff in the backpack. The hike was beautiful through the forest. I have never been on a hike before where my ears were popping; we climbed some serious elevation. There were all sorts of historical markers on the hike: an old farm, old house, old bridges, old rock walls, and a cemetery. The area was settled in 1810, and later abandoned. The cemetery was very interesting, with birth dates back to 1810. One interesting thing was the little grave markers, we assumed for infants. There was no writing at all on these headstones, and there were at least 6 of them. I would love to know the stories behind them. Phil reminded us how short our lives are, we are like a blip on the radar of history. It is a good reminder that we are not here forever, we need to keep our focus on eternal things. The hike turned out to be 3.6 miles, and I will say I was surprised that the walk down was harder than the walk up. My knees were killing me!! The kids all did pretty good, got a little tired, but did good.
We headed back to our campsite, the first time on the trip we have stayed in the same spot for two nights. Hot dogs over the fire were on the menu, with s'mores of course.
The low last night was in the upper 30's, but the heater kept us warm enough. We headed out this morning at 9, and are headed for Maine.
Have a great day!
Have a great day!










No comments:
Post a Comment